[avahi] General Avahi usage questions

Jen Chitty JenChitty at vtech.ca
Mon Feb 15 11:52:08 PST 2010

You can use the "--force-bind" option to force avahi-autoipd to ignore
other interface configuration (for example, configuration by DHCP client)
and go ahead and assign a link-local address no matter what.

Hopefully your network admin is a bit more on-the-ball than to allow a
bunch of uncoordinated DHCP servers on the network.  But, if you're
building consumer electronics products, it's probably a good idea to be
ready for such a thing, if possible.  Of course, there's only so much we
can do to deal with a network mis-configuration like that, and we must be
very careful not to make the problem worse with our workarounds.

Cheers.

--Jen

Linus Lüssing <linus.luessing at web.de>
Sent by: avahi-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org