[avahi] General Avahi usage questions

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at web.de
Wed Feb 17 06:01:26 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:52:08AM -0800, Jen Chitty wrote:
> You can use the "--force-bind" option to force avahi-autoipd to ignore
> other interface configuration (for example, configuration by DHCP client)
> and go ahead and assign a link-local address no matter what.
>
> Hopefully your network admin is a bit more on-the-ball than to allow a
> bunch of uncoordinated DHCP servers on the network.  But, if you're
> building consumer electronics products, it's probably a good idea to be
> ready for such a thing, if possible.  Of course, there's only so much we
> can do to deal with a network mis-configuration like that, and we must be
> very careful not to make the problem worse with our workarounds.
Yes, sure. You guys probably know a lot better about the
side-effects of a hacky "fix" :). But thanks for the
"--force-bind", looks interesting.
Hmm, well, I think our setup looks a bit more "chaotic" - if that
might be the right word for the setup here - than a well-coordinated
network maintained by one admin :D.

Cheers, Linus