[avahi] Only IPv6 services are visible

Marc Heerdink marc.heerdink at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 13:55:19 PST 2010

Hi Ernesto and Matt

Thanks for the suggestions! Ernesto: the nsswitch.conf files are
identical on both machines, I have attached one of them, in case
you're able to find a problem with it, I'll report it to Gentoo (I'm
using stock versions).

Matt: Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test the two machines on
the same kind of connection yet, because I don't have a second network
cable here and the HTPC doesn't have wireless. Some testing with a
third computer (another laptop) suggests you might be right, because
it can wirelessly 'discover' everything on the laptop and vice-versa.
The second laptop can't see IPv4 services on the HTPC either, which
leads me to suspect either the HTPC or the router rather than the
laptops. Hopefully, I'll have a second ethernet cable tomorrow and
will report whether the fix was as unsuspected but simple as that!

Thanks again,

Best,
Marc