[avahi] resolving avahi addresses that are on a not in .local domain

Ron Zachariah ron_zach at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 09:35:29 PDT 2010

I am trying to setup avahi in my system to use a non standard domain rather than the default .local.
I edited my avahi-daemon.conf such that
domain-name=foo

When I do the avahi-browse command I can see all the hosts are there with the foo domain.

However when I try to ping hosts using the .foo domain I get an error; avahi-resolve still works though.

# ping hosta.foo
ping: bad address 'hosta.foo'
# avahi-resolve-host-name hosta.foo
hosta.foo       169.254.8.158

When I tried this without setting the domain everything was working using hosta.local.  Is there any extra configuration I need to do to get linux / avahi to recognize my custom domain?

Thanks
Ron