[avahi] Need some advice

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Thu Apr 28 11:54:15 PDT 2011

Hi,

New to potentially using Avahi. I basically would like to see if I am on
the proper path.

I would like to automate certain tasks for machine configuration in a
cluster setup. One example of this automatic setup would be setting up
and NFS mount. Basically the head node of the cluster gets installed and
manually configured. Then I'd like to run some kind of service on the
head node. when a cluster node gets installed, upon firstboot some
client code runs to find the service running on the head node. Then gets
the IP address from the head node and the path for the NFS share it exports.

Is Avahi, the proper tool for the job?

How would I go about implementing something like this?

I found the publish example in Python,
http://avahi.org/wiki/PythonPublishExample, but after looking at the
code it is not obvious to me how data is passed from the publisher to
the client.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert