[avahi] avahi-browse question

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 11 14:04:26 PDT 2011

On Thu, 07.07.11 17:34, Michael Jeung (jeungster at gmail.com) wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm new to avahi and I'm struggling with a problem: Under what circumstances
> will an avahi record disappear from avahi-browse?

When the server which registered it tells us that it is gone now. Or
when the network we found it one ceases to be accessible (for example,
the local iface we found it on goes away.)

> However, a few seconds after I turn on the second avahi-daemon, the first
> avahi record disappears:
>
> -   eth1 IPv4 FooApplication                       _service._tcp       local
>
> If I then restart the avahi-daemon on the first power pc, the opposite
> happens: The first avahi record (Foo) returns and the second avahi record
> (Bar) disappears from avahi-browse.
>
> I'm trying to understand what would cause this behavior.  What causes an
> avahi-record to disappear from avahi-browse?   It seems to me that my
> avahi-daemons are interfering with one another, even though they are running
> on separate devices.   Thoughts?

No idea. Check the logs whether something else happened at the same
time. For example, when you encounter a name conflict of some kinda
avahi will log about this. Or if a network interface stops being
available it will log that too.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.