[avahi] Linsys E4200: Received response with invalid source port

Eric Martel shrodi+avahi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 07:50:21 PDT 2011

(Please tell me if this is not the good place to ask this question)

Hi,

I just changed my router from a D-Link DI-624 to a Cisco Linksys E4200.
Almost instantly, all of my Linux syslogs (I run many computers on my
network, some Mandriva, others Ubuntu, different versions) began being
clogged (every 30 seconds) with messages such as the following:

    Jul 18 08:53:42 myhost avahi-daemon[7054]: Received response from
host 192.168.1.1 with invalid source port 32768 on interface 'eth1.0'

where 192.168.1.1 is the address of the router.

The only apparently relevant post I found on the Internet is at
http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Received-response-from-host-router-IP-address-with-invalid/td-p/405931,
with an interesting and detailed technical insight at what might be
going wrong, but with no solution offered. This post hints at errors
that would be both on the side of the router and Avahi (but I can't tell
since I'm a total newb in that mDNS thingy).

Contacting Linksys tech support was (big surprise...) a dead end for me,
so I thought I might turn for your help guys: is there anything I can do
from the avahi-daemon point of view to at least prevent that specific
message from clogging my syslogs, but without disabling avahi-daemon
since I use it? Or can anybody think of something (generally speaking) I
could configure on the router to prevent this?

Thanks!