[avahi] Avahi reports IPv6 address as AVAHI_PROTO_INET

Stefan Radomski radomski at tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Dec 19 11:26:48 PST 2012

Hi there,

Avahi sporadically returns IPv6 addresses as AVAHI_PROTO_INET in the AvahiServiceBrowserCallback instead of AVAHI_PROTO_INET6. Thus, reporting an ipv6 address as an ipv4 address. We observed this behavior both in Debian Testing and Fedora 17. It is very hard to reproduce but enough to make avahi unusable for us as the actual ipv4 address will never be reported.

We are still trying to isolate the issue, but I was hoping someone might have some pointers.

Best regards
  Stefan

P.S.: I am trying to have a look in the source code, but http://www.avahi.org is down?