[avahi] [patch] add aliases configuration setting to register CNAME records

Stijn Hoop stijn at sandcat.nl
Sat Jul 21 12:28:09 PDT 2012

Hi,

Like a few people before me I had a usecase in which avahi registered
CNAMEs were useful (having a "canonical" name on a simple home network,
mostly).

There is some work done in this area, mostly by running external
scripts that register the record themselves:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/3896533/590379
https://github.com/airtonix/avahi-aliases
https://github.com/hmalphettes/avahi-aliases
http://www.avahi.org/wiki/Examples/PythonPublishAlias

but I figured I'd have a shot at implementing this in the daemon
itself.

Attached is my first attempt. As I'm not really a C programmer by day,
I'm bound to have made some errors, but at least it compiles, and
registers the CNAMEs that I want ;-) Let me know if there's something
that could be done better.

Hopefully this can be integrated in the next Avahi in some form!

Regards,

--Stijn