[avahi] Receive mDNS annoucnements

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sun Nov 30 20:58:25 PST 2014

A quick Avahi primer,

A “browser” is a long running process to watch for records coming and going,
A “resolver” is a short running process to resolve a record and get a final result.

Avahi is also a combination of two technologies, first “multicast dns” which implements DNS with special considerations for a shared multicast network — and then “DNS-SD” or DNS based service discovery.  This is a set of DNS records that can be used to discover a service, it can be used over multicast dns, or in fact can also be used over normal DNS.

Generally you “browse” for some set of records, then if you are interested in one, you “resolve” it.

So generally in most Avahi applications, the “Service Browser” queries a list of services over time, e.g. get a list of all _http._tcp services.  It then returns a list of such services, which you can then (optionally) resolve with the “Service Resolver”, that will then fetch the service and resolve it’s additional TXT records, the IP address for the hostname, etc.

A typically use case in an application is that you browse the service list with a ServiceBrowser,  you provide the user with a list of the service names, they then click a service and you then run the ServiceResolver to get the IP and other TXT details — to then connect to it.  Some applications will also run a ServiceResolver on every service because they need the TXT data to show extra information to the user.

The reason these are split is that it saves unnecessary network traffic if the application did not want to resolve the service.  This can be a big issue in large networks, so you want to avoid every application resolving all services if possible.  Or at least, not all the time.

The “Record Browser”  is a more low level tool for browsing a specific DNS record over mDNS.  It is not normally used by most applications,  as they use the ServiceBrowser/ServiceResolver which queries multiple records for you and does extra logic to handle service discovery.  But if you wanted to watch a specific record, this is the tool to use.  For example perhaps you want to see if there is an entry for “my-computer.local” with an A record (IPv4 Address).

This might actually be ideal for this use case, since you want to know over time if a specific device is on the network or not - regardless of what services it is advertising.

Hope that helps!

- Trent