[avahi] avahi Digest, Vol 124, Issue 1

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Wed Oct 14 02:52:00 PDT 2015

> On 11 Oct 2015, at 4:48 AM, Michael Jones <avahi at jonesmz.com> wrote:
>

> Trent
>
> I had a look at avahi-qt in 0.6.32-rc and it looks like there is still no QT5 support.  I found this patch for QT5 support...
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2014-October/002305.html <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2014-October/002305.html>
>
> If I pass an AvahiPoll from avahi_qt_poll_get() to avahi_client_new() the program will segfault with Qt5 (Qt4 works fine).  I have a Qt class that wraps avahi-client.  In order to get it to work with Qt5, I need to distribute a modified avahi-qt.
>
> Jon
>

> I'm the author of that Qt 5 patch.
>
> I'd be happy to lend assistance to getting it integrated into an upcoming Avahi release. I wasn't able to post it to the avahi bug tracker, since the Trac instance wasn't accepting new registrations for quite a while.
>
> Saying this without looking at the full changelist for Avahi, I'd say that it's pretty likely to apply cleanly to the new version. It was minimally invasive.
>
> Please contact me if assistance is desired.

It does apply fine, had to make a slight tweak to set -fPIC.

Is there a project somewhere that compiles against this? In any case I think we should make an example/test app as we don’t have one at all for QT right now.

Converted into pull request here:
https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/pull/19 <https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/pull/19>

Trent