[avahi] Published service gets incorrect address

Denis Kharlamov dkharlamov at aversan.com
Mon Jun 19 13:51:19 UTC 2017

Hello,

I'm experiencing a peculiar issue with my avahi where the address of the published service gets a "-2" appended to it.

My use of Avahi is essentially this: http://www.avahi.org/doxygen/html/client-publish-service_8c-example.html
The service always gets published without fail, with the correct service name, and TXT records. However, the address that avahi-discover shows, has a -2 appended to it.
I am not sure why, because in code I am passing a null pointer for the host, as per documentation:
"The host this services is residing on. We recommend to pass NULL here, the daemon will than automatically insert the local host name in that case"

The only way I've been able to resolve this is by killing the avahi-daemon and restarting it. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this behavior?

Thank you,
Denis Kharlamov