[avahi] Published service gets incorrect address

Tom Pusateri pusateri at bangj.com
Mon Jun 19 23:27:26 UTC 2017

Without more information, this sounds like normal naming conflict resolution as described in:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762#page-31 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762#page-31>

Another host on the link local network is using the same name and so your name is made unique by appending “-2”.

Sometimes, this occurs when a single host has multiple interfaces on the same link local network (like wired and wireless ethernet) or when there are bugs in the conflict resolution implementations.

This is harmless as long as your host is correctly resolving this name with the “-2” appended.

If you have mdns name resolution configured, you can ping (or ping6 if appropriate) "<name>-2.local” to see if it is resolving ok.

By killing the avahi-daemon, it is probably starting to use <name> again until conflict resolution kicked in and causes the name change to append the “-2”.

If this is not accurate, please send more detailed info (logs, packet traces, etc.).

Thanks,
Tom