[avahi] "Unable to locate printer" -- Printer name confusion (bug?)

Tom Pusateri pusateri at bangj.com
Mon Jun 10 23:02:36 UTC 2019

You can troubleshoot this by separating mDNS resolution from service discovery.

If you can ping either name with .local appended, mDNS resolution is working.

You should have the nss_mdns pkg installed and your /etc/nsswitch.conf should have a hosts line something like:

hosts: files mdns dns

Then ping bromance.local or BRN001BA9A2273F.local and see which one responds.

Then you can search for the printer service once you can ping.

From FreeBSD:
avahi-browse _printer._tcp
or
avahi-browse _ipp._tcp

depending on the printer you have.

From a macOS machine:
dns-sd -B _printer._tcp local
or
dns-sd -B _ipp._tcp local

If you get a response here, you’re all set. If not, describe what works and what doesn’t.

Tom