[avahi] "Unable to locate printer" -- Printer name confusion (bug?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Jun 11 01:34:33 UTC 2019

In message <5C227FAE-F44D-4554-95D1-6D73F664AE02 at bangj.com>,
Tom Pusateri <pusateri at bangj.com> wrote:

>{... debug suggestions snipped...}

Thanks and sorry.  I already solved the problem, and should probably have
already written back here to say that.

All I really wanted to do was to print some stuff to my networked printer.

I loaded up CUPS and I figured that I only just had to configure that
properly and then I'm be printing like a happy camper.

Of course, it didn't work out that way.  Life is never that simple.

In order for CUPS to even see the printer, I had to load up avahi, which
I did.  Then CUPS allowed me to "add" the printer and even to send print
jobs to it, but somehwre before those print jobs made it to the actual
physical printer, CUPS decided that it didn't acttually know where the
printer was anymore.  (Early onset Alzheimer's?)

The solution, as I later learned, was that I had to *also* load up the
nss_mdns package.  Once I did that, then at least I could actually get
stuff out to the printer.  (CUPS was now remembering where the printer
was when it came time to actually print things.)

This all is/was far from the end of my printing woes, but at least I got
past this part OK.  But thanks anyway for being willing to help.  (all
of my other printing problems have to do with rendering, filtering, etc.)

The funny thing is that in the end, I ended up just setting my printer
to a static IP, and then referring to it always uisng the traditional
dotted quad IPv4 address notation, rather than via a DNS FQDN.  So arguably,
I never even really needed to do any of this (avahi/nss_mdns) stuff anyway.

Regards,
rfg