[avahi] Avahi mailing list open again!

Joshua Watt jpewhacker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:25:45 UTC 2022

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 12:58 PM Petr Menšík <pemensik at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello dear avahi users,
>
> this mailing list required manual confirmation before, but it does not
> require it anymore. I requests just common subscription confirmation and
> lets you in.
>
> Avahi project suffers lack of active maintenance. Are here people
> understanding C code and able to review pull requests on github
> repository [1]?
>
> Especially avahi package maintainers would be appreciated to join here.
> Do we have more volunteers to keep main repository active and fix bugs
> in existing releases?

The project definitely needs maintainers, I've offered a few years
ago, but it didn't go anywhere.

Getting the pull requests merged would be really nice also, since I
have some pending.

One idea I've toyed around with is that perhaps this project _might_
be a candidate to be rolled into systemd. I'm not sure how everyone
feels about that, but it would at a minimum ensure that it could be
more easily maintained (assuming systemd will take it). It does
probably mean some loss of control on what features can be
implemented, but that's probably better than nothing happening.