[avahi] Avahi mailing list open again!

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:57:28 UTC 2022

Some weeks ago, I have seen this bug report from Adrian Cable on Avahi:

https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/388

and this comment

https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/388#issuecomment-1196167125

where he expresses that he wants to volunteer on maintaining work on Avahi.

Note that I by myself am not stepping up for maintaining. I am the
printing guru of Linux, leading http://www.openprinting.org/, and
therefore a suffering user, as DNS-SD and therefore Avahi is essential
for discovery of network printers and scanners and driverless
printing/scanning.

And for me it would be best if Avahi gets maintained again. The other
solution of systemd replacing Avahi would mean a lot of work for us, to
switch our code to another DNS-SD library. We use the Avahi client
library a lot. The advantage of systemd would be that we get rid of one
daemon (avahi-daemon) and that it is much more solidly maintained by
Lennart Poettering at Microsoft.

    Till