[avahi] Avahi mailing list open again!

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:31:21 UTC 2022

On 11/10/2022 21:12, Petr Menšík wrote:
> On 10/11/22 20:57, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Some weeks ago, I have seen this bug report from Adrian Cable on Avahi:
>>
>> https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/388
>>
>> and this comment
>>
>> https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/388#issuecomment-1196167125
>>
>> where he expresses that he wants to volunteer on maintaining work on
>> Avahi.

Do you also know Adrian?

> Understood. I am a colleague of Zdeněk Dohnal, I guess you would know
> him from Open Printing group.

I know him very well. He is part of my team, the OpenPrinting team. He
does a lot of bug triaging, is release manager of CUPS 2.4.x. Does a lot
of nice things for us. He will also be on the Ubuntu Summit in Prague in
November and there with me on the OpenPrinting Community sessions (it is
only 2 hours drive from Brno, you could also come).

> He has complained not only a single time
> on different avahi problems.

I also had my problems. I have posted a tiny patch to add localhost
(loopback "lo" device) support to Avahi, for local services like Printer
Applications (replacement for printer drivers) and IPP-over-USB
(driverless USB printing), and it took 3 (!) years until it got merged.
And I am working at Canonical.

https://openprinting.github.io/achievements/#localhost-support-in-avahi

> I am willing to spend some time on Avahi. I
> would not say being primary maintainer, but a co-worker, why not.

I hope as a co-worker of Adrian Cable.

> I like
> avahi is a separate, specialized thing. But I admit many bugs are
> unfixed now.

[...]

> Systemd has much more people than just Lennart. Several people from Red
> Hat are working on it, it does not depend on single person anymore.
> Their disadvantage is too broad scope in my opinion. They implement too
> many different things in a single project. Many involved people, but
> also many different areas. Not sure it is an ideal candidate.

Yes, I have seems some talk praising systemd when it was introduced into
WSL some weeks ago, and it does a lot of things which most users do not
need, even managing on-demand replication of servers in the cloud.

But systemd has also its good side:

https://openprinting.github.io/OpenPrinting-News-September-2022/#saving-old-printers-under-windows-is-getting-easier

    Till