[avahi] Avahi mailing list open again!

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 19:12:07 UTC 2022

On 10/11/22 20:57, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Some weeks ago, I have seen this bug report from Adrian Cable on Avahi:
>
> https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/388
>
> and this comment
>
> https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/388#issuecomment-1196167125
>
> where he expresses that he wants to volunteer on maintaining work on
> Avahi.
>
> Note that I by myself am not stepping up for maintaining. I am the
> printing guru of Linux, leading http://www.openprinting.org/, and
> therefore a suffering user, as DNS-SD and therefore Avahi is essential
> for discovery of network printers and scanners and driverless
> printing/scanning.
Understood. I am a colleague of Zdeněk Dohnal, I guess you would know
him from Open Printing group. He has complained not only a single time
on different avahi problems. I am willing to spend some time on Avahi. I
would not say being primary maintainer, but a co-worker, why not. I like
avahi is a separate, specialized thing. But I admit many bugs are
unfixed now.

> And for me it would be best if Avahi gets maintained again. The other
> solution of systemd replacing Avahi would mean a lot of work for us,
> to switch our code to another DNS-SD library. We use the Avahi client
> library a lot. The advantage of systemd would be that we get rid of
> one daemon (avahi-daemon) and that it is much more solidly maintained
> by Lennart Poettering at Microsoft.
>
>    Till

Systemd has much more people than just Lennart. Several people from Red
Hat are working on it, it does not depend on single person anymore.
Their disadvantage is too broad scope in my opinion. They implement too
many different things in a single project. Many involved people, but
also many different areas. Not sure it is an ideal candidate.

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer, RHEL