[Beignet] few questions on Beignet-OpenCL-ICD v1.2.0 regarding X11 and kernel patches

Seva Gluschenko gvs at webkontrol.ru
Thu Sep 22 08:36:19 UTC 2016

Hello Rebecca,

Please accept my apologies for being not very informative. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS x86_64 on Intel Core i7-6700, and I had the patched Linux kernel 4.4.21-intel.r16.5 and Intel's opencl_runtime_16.1.1_x64_ubuntu_6.4.0.25 installed in parallel with Beignet. After erasing all that stuff and switching back to the standard kernel (4.4.0-38-generic, in fact 4.4.17 with patches, according to ChangeLog), with Beignet as the only ICD provider, clinfo no longer fails without X. Unfortunately, it does not find any GPU either:

# clinfo
Number of platforms                               1
  Platform Name                                   Intel Gen OCL Driver
  Platform Vendor                                 Intel
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 1.2 beignet 1.2
  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Extensions                             cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_spir cl_khr_icd cl_intel_accelerator cl_intel_motion_estimation cl_intel_subgroups
  Platform Extensions function suffix             Intel
beignet-opencl-icd: no supported GPU found, this is probably the wrong opencl-icd package for this hardware
(If you have multiple ICDs installed and OpenCL works, you can ignore this message)

  Platform Name                                   Intel Gen OCL Driver
Number of devices                                 0

NULL platform behavior
  clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...)  Intel Gen OCL Driver
beignet-opencl-icd: no supported GPU found, this is probably the wrong opencl-icd package for this hardware
(If you have multiple ICDs installed and OpenCL works, you can ignore this message)
  clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...)   Intel Gen OCL Driver
  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default]            No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU)  No devices found in platform
beignet-opencl-icd: no supported GPU found, this is probably the wrong opencl-icd package for this hardware
(If you have multiple ICDs installed and OpenCL works, you can ignore this message)
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU)  No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR)  No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM)  No devices found in platform
beignet-opencl-icd: no supported GPU found, this is probably the wrong opencl-icd package for this hardware
(If you have multiple ICDs installed and OpenCL works, you can ignore this message)
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL)  No devices found in platform

ICD loader properties
  ICD loader Name                                 OpenCL ICD Loader
  ICD loader Vendor                               OCL Icd free software
  ICD loader Version                              2.2.9
  ICD loader Profile                              OpenCL 2.1

The GPU itself is found by the system:

# lspci -nn |grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated Graphics [8086:1912] (rev 06)

Could you please drop me some hints on where to dig further? I feel like I'm stuck.

BTW, thank you very much for the debian package that I found in Debian sid, I took its controls and used them to build a package for Ubuntu, with some modifications (e.g. killed X dependency).

--
Best Regards,

Seva Gluschenko