[cairo] Re:drawlist type functionality?

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 07:07:27 PDT 2005

I'm looking at  drawlist style functionality also for me its from java
but same problem. First I think it can be implemented on top of cairo
without for the most part requiring changes to cairo.  The only
exception I can see is potentially adding some additional functions to
cairo to make it easy to re-initialize some structures instead of
having too allocate new ones since it this case you know the
lifetimes.  Right now cairo allocates a lot of temporary structures
that could be reused if they can be reinitialized..

Next for a drawlist style api you proabably want to add additional
features beyond the scope of cairo since you can manage the surfaces
and there interaction.  Directfb does a good job of managing the
drawing surfaces and I've been looking at enlightenment evas canvas
with has the model your suggesting as a basis for this.  For X11 I
think its best to consider and extension once the api is well defined.

I'm not convinced it makes sense to replicate the direct drawing api
of cairo for a drawlist engine I'm not saying they won't be similar
but I'm not sure you can hide the engine behind the cairo api.

If your serious about this I'm extremely intrested :)