[cairo] Re[4]: Cairographics on win32

Hans Breuer hans at breuer.org
Tue Apr 12 22:18:53 PDT 2005

On 08.04.2005 02:09, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Stuart Parmenter writes:
>  > I really think that checking in Visual Studio projects is the wrong
>  > thing to do here.  We should just create a windows makefile that you
>  > can use nmake to build, similarly to what glib, pango, etc do.
>
> But note that only for glib are these makefiles close to usable
> without manual surgery AFAIK. Surely it is next to impossible to
> create a ready-to-use makefile for nmake for the libraries with more
> complex dependencies.
Why do you think GLib is in any way special? Because it get's the most
bug reports of breaking the msvc build?

GLib alrady adds gettext (libintl) and iconv to the dependency stack.
Pango adds nothing. Atk adds nothing. Gdk-pixbuf adds at least libpng
and thus zlib. Gdk adds wintab. Gtk adds noting anymore. [1]

> And maintaining such is a pain.
Constantly failing with auto*tools is - for me - a bigger pain. And
debugging via printf instead of with an integrated GUI doubly so.

> (I certainly am
> not going to provide any msvc makefiles for the modules that are being
> ported to Windows as part of the Evolution porting effort (ORBit2,
> GConf, libbonobo, libbonoboui, libgnome etc.))

Having to maintain a complete parallel build environment sure isn't ideal.
But ignoring the contributions (and needs) of developers coming from the
windoze site isn't either.

> (But then, cairo has relatively few dependencies, so for cairo a
> separate manually written nmake makefile probably might make sense.)

Really?
For PS you need zlib.
For PNG add libpng.
For PDF there is the whole freetype/fontconfig stack required (at the
moment). And last but not least the not optional libpixman dependency.

When I count expat (dragged in by fontconfig) Cairo has a very similar
dependency count as Gtk+ (pre Cairo).

	Hans