[cairo] Java-GNOME adding cairo bindings

Soorya Kuloor sooryak at otii.com
Sun Feb 13 09:46:50 PST 2005

I am one of the official maintainers of the Cairo-Java bindings. Please
see my comments below.

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 20:12 -0500, mental at rydia.net wrote:
> Quoting Jeff Morgan <kuzman at gmail.com>:
>
> > 1. The method that CairoJava uses to store pointers ... could have
> > problems on certain platforms.
>
> > 2. There is a dependency on the swt libraries.
>
> > 3. We package all of our projects using the gnu build tools such
> > as automake and libtool.
>
> All of these sound like issues that are important for an official
> Cairo binding in general, rather than being specific to Java-GNOME
> (though the last one is more a matter of taste IMO).

I do not have any problems using some other build tool. We picked the
tools that are in there because that is what we knew and was quick to
get going. The same thing goes for the pointer stuff too. We may have to
use multiple build systems too.

> > If there is a desire to create a common bindings package I would
> > be interested in discussing what is required.   At a minimum we
> > would need to address the three items described above.
>
> I can't speak for the maintainers myself.  You will likely have to
> forge some sort of compromise on the build system; possibly
> parallel Eclipse and autofoo build setups.  Ideally the end result
> would be equally usable with SWT and with Java-GNOME too, probably
> with the SWT-specific stuff becoming a separate library just as
> gtkcairo is.

I'd really like to have a single Cairo Java binding instead of two or
more. However, we need to make sure that the bindings are not going to
be Java-gnome specific or SWT specific (as it is now). Our products
depend on this binding. Here are our requirements.

* Should work with SWT

* Should work at least on Linux and Windows using SWT.

Note that on Linux, SWT uses gtk and on Windows it uses windows native
widgets.

We should model the API similar to that of Cairo, so that we can have a
common core and platform/backend specific 'surfaces' and whatnot.

-- Soorya