[cairo] Java-GNOME adding cairo bindings

Jeff Morgan kuzman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:20:31 PST 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:46:50 -0700, Soorya Kuloor <sooryak at otii.com> wrote:
> I do not have any problems using some other build tool. We picked the
> tools that are in there because that is what we knew and was quick to
> get going. The same thing goes for the pointer stuff too. We may have to
> use multiple build systems too.

I think it is quite possible to support multiple build systems.  Our current
packages are distributed on numerous linux distributions and we must
support a gnu build chain to enable the downstream package maintainers.

> I'd really like to have a single Cairo Java binding instead of two or
> more. However, we need to make sure that the bindings are not going to
> be Java-gnome specific or SWT specific (as it is now). Our products
> depend on this binding. Here are our requirements.
>
> * Should work with SWT

There are differences between working with SWT and being dependant
upon SWT.  I was hoping we could create a binding that is free of SWT
and GDK/GTK.  This would provide the core rendering capabilities.  Beyond
this we could create a module that supports this rendering on GDK/GTK
and you could maintain a module that supports rendering on SWT.   This
would take a little design work but I believe it is very feasible.

> * Should work at least on Linux and Windows using SWT.

See previous comment.

> Note that on Linux, SWT uses gtk and on Windows it uses windows native
> widgets.
>
> We should model the API similar to that of Cairo, so that we can have a
> common core and platform/backend specific 'surfaces' and whatnot.

I think we can come up with an approach that builds the core
capabilities without a need for SWT or any particular widget toolkit.
Then provide auxiliary libraries that could tie it to SWT and GTK.

> -- Soorya

Soorya, I would like to have a chance to discuss this with you.
Perhaps we can meet on irc to see if it is possible to work out
the details.  I leave in the eastern timezone in the US (EST).
What would be a good time for us to meet?  The java-gnome
team maintains an irc channel on irc.gimp.net called
#java-gnome.  Let's try to schedule a time to meet and talk.