[cairo] cairo anti aliasing

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Feb 18 19:21:41 PST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:38:07 +0100 (CET), Tim Janik wrote:
> adjusting the amount of anti-aliasing:
>    currently, i can render rectangles with varying amounts of smoothness at
>    the edges, similar to the "Feather Edge" feature of the gimp "rectangle
>    select" command. this is essentially adjusting the radius of a 2D gaussian
>    curve in pixels, used to smooth the figure edges.
>    as an example, i have attached an image, containing 4 times the same
>    rectangle, rendered with feather edges of 0, 1, 2 and 3 from left to right.

Would you be satisfied here with an operation for applying some filter
to an image, (eg. a Gaussian or some other convolution kernel)?

We don't currently have a painting operator that provides convolution
filters in the cairo API, but it's something I've already wanted and
I'm interested in hearing proposals for this.

As far as the antialiasing algorithm within cairo, (ie. in Render and
in libpixman), it is currently doing point sampling within the
provided geometry. I don't see any simple way to extend that to the
kind of operation you are describing here.