[cairo] cairo anti aliasing

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Mon Feb 28 13:53:18 PST 2005

Tim Janik wrote:

> right, which is why i'm interested in point sampling a gaussian integral
> with
> varying radius, perpendicular to the object edge. not blurring it after
> point
> sampling the object (by nearest neighbour, box filter or whatever).
> i.e. i *do* have the corner artefacts you call "mach-banded points" ;)

Okay, I see. We are describing the same thing. When I said "point
sampling a very thin rectangle along the edge", my rectangle is colored
in such a way that a line perpendicular to the edge is your filter, thus
producing the same result.

I suspect at the dimensions we are talking about, a linear ramp will
work just as well as a gaussian or bicubic curve, this has the advangage
of being doable on OpenGL hardware.

My original statement that this is not the best antialiasing algorithim
still stands. I personally use this algorithim in my own code and I am
quite familiar with each and every failing of it. In particular it
cannot correctly antialias any details that are smaller than 2 pixels
thick. I do not think Cairo should be defined in any way to require this
algorithim.