[cairo] cairo anti aliasing

Tim Janik timj at gtk.org
Mon Feb 28 13:39:34 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> Tim Janik wrote:

>> that'd applicable only for this example. but i'm indeed more interested
>> in using the gaussian integrals as an antialiasing and rendering technique.
>
> Blurring with a gaussian will NOT anti-alias the image. You proved this
> yourself by showing that you could still see the steps by blurring a tilted
> non-antialiased rectangle. Gimp is not blurring by a gaussian, it is drawing
> point-sampled ramps on all edges of the polygon. This can clearly be seen
> from the Mach-banded "points" on the corners.

right, which is why i'm interested in point sampling a gaussian integral with
varying radius, perpendicular to the object edge. not blurring it after point
sampling the object (by nearest neighbour, box filter or whatever).
i.e. i *do* have the corner artefacts you call "mach-banded points" ;)

my original incentive was to maybe replace my current rendering primitives
with cairo if it was capable to provide this effect. that seems to not
be the case (judging from the comments i got regarding trapezoids).
so i'll probably simply not replace my existing primitives and just
introduce cairo support as an new rendering object (similar to the image
or polygon objects i currently have).

---
ciaoTJ