[cairo] Glitz API questions

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Mon Feb 28 16:11:40 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 12:07 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> I'm working on an EGL backend for glitz, and I had a couple of questions.
>
> - In glitz_glxint.h, the following two functions are defined:
>
> extern GLXPbuffer __internal_linkage
> glitz_glx_pbuffer_create (glitz_glx_screen_info_t    *screen_info,
>                           GLXFBConfig                fbconfig,
>                           int                        width,
>                           int                        height);
>
> extern glitz_drawable_t __internal_linkage *
> glitz_glx_create_pbuffer (void                    *abstract_templ,
>                           glitz_drawable_format_t *format,
>                           unsigned int            width,
>                           unsigned int            height);
>
> I'm slightly confused by this.  Presumably one is higher level than the other,
> or else one is deprecated.

glitz_glx_create_pbuffer is a backend function and
glitz_glx_pbuffer_create is the pbuffer creation function implemented in
glitz_glx_pbuffer.c.

There use to be more code in glitz_glx_pbuffer_create, that's why I have
the glitz_glx_pbuffer.c file, but now it's probably a good idea to move
all the code from glitz_glx_pbuffer.c into glitz_glx_drawable.c.

> - I've seen some mutterings in the archives about API changes, but I only
> subscribed just recently.  Will these changes be affecting the glitz backends
> in any serious way?  If so I can wait to get this work started until after
> glitz has settled.

Very unlikely. I'm pretty happy with the current backend interface.
Unless your EGL backend needs something additional, I think we can stick
to the current interface.

Eventually we want to be able to run glitz just on top of the EGL common
profile, right?
This will require that some of the core OpenGL API is considered
extensions within glitz. It shouldn't be to hard to get this right but
it's a fair amount of work so if you need any help, let me know.

-David