[cairo] Getting started

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Jul 23 16:31:25 PDT 2005

Hi,

After Carl's good tutorial yesterday at OLS, I finally got
started using Cairo.  As an example, I added Cairo support to
dasher, the predictive text input widget.  I found it quite
straightforward to convert from Gdk drawing to Cairo.  But I've
got a big problem:  Currently I get the two-pixel-wide blurred
lines, so I thought I can cairo_translate(cr, -0.5, -0.5) to fix
that.  But doing that (looks like fixing the problem) makes the
rendering /extremely/ slow, so much that it's unusable.

Any way to get around it?  Why is a translate so slow?  My
graphics consists of a bunch of rectangles...

BTW, I hacked a bunch of the examples in cairo-demo module to
build again.  I can commit if you give me permissions, or send
patches.

Cheers,

--behdad
http://behdad.org/