[cairo] win32 binaries missing Freetype support?

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Wed Nov 16 08:44:13 PST 2005

Mikael Claesson writes:
 > Tor says the Cairo DLL requires the Freetype DLL

Umm, no it doesn't. (The cairo 1.0.2 DLL distributed from
ftp.gtk.org.)

 > If Freetype support is indeed missing, is there some
 > other way that I can load a truetype font from a file
 > and use it with Cairo on win32?

Just install the font in question the normal way in Windows, and it
will be available like any other installed font to code using the
Win32 API, including cairo.

I think installing a font systemwide through Explorer requires
Administrator privileges? Glancing at the API docs, apparently using
the AddFontResourceEx() function it is possible to install a font
temporarily for the current session only, so you could use that in
your app, after which it should be visible to cairo. (Please
experiment...)

--tml