[cairo] Re: Linking to Cairo 1.0.2 statically (Win32)

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Oct 13 07:17:06 PDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:18:08 +0200, Doodle wrote:
> I was speaking about Cairo with one of the Mozilla contributors, and he
> said that the main Mozilla guys are quite against building Mozilla in that
> way that it would link to Cairo dynamically. They want to link to it
> statically, to avoid version mismatch problems.

Why can't they just use the cairo.dll.local trick?

> I know that most of you are against the idea of having a global library
> initialization and uninitialization function pair, but I think that this
> is again a problem which shows that they are required.

Virtually any operating system will let you ship "bundled" DLLs/DSOs which
take priority over the system copy whilst still avoiding static linking.
Linux lets you, Windows lets you, MacOS X lets you.

Is OS/2 really the odd one out in this regard?

thanks -mike