[cairo] Cairo status update (new PostScript stuff and more)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Apr 6 16:20:29 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 15:36 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:

>  * Text support
>
>    Again, this is a case where there is a bunch of existing code that
>    works, but is currently turned off. Before, the PostScript backend
>    would do font-subsetting in some cases, and fall over
>    otherwise. Now, we have text-as-paths in all cases.
>
>    So all that should be needed is to properly characterize when the
>    existing (and currently disabled) font code is guaranteed to work,
>    and then just call it.

The existing text support handles only TrueType fonts, subsetting and
converting them to Type42 fonts. Which, again, is ironic as PostScript's
native font format (Type1) isn't handled at all.

What I'd like to see eventually is code which can generate programmatic
fonts for arbitrary outlines and bitmaps (Type3? I don't have my red
book handy) and special cases that deal with fonts which are known to be
Type1 or TrueType.

keith.packard at intel.com