[cairo] Cairo status update (new PostScript stuff and more)

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Apr 7 10:19:45 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 15:36 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
>
> >  * Text support
> >
> >    Again, this is a case where there is a bunch of existing code that
> >    works, but is currently turned off. Before, the PostScript backend
> >    would do font-subsetting in some cases, and fall over
> >    otherwise. Now, we have text-as-paths in all cases.
> >
> >    So all that should be needed is to properly characterize when the
> >    existing (and currently disabled) font code is guaranteed to work,
> >    and then just call it.
>
> The existing text support handles only TrueType fonts, subsetting and
> converting them to Type42 fonts. Which, again, is ironic as PostScript's
> native font format (Type1) isn't handled at all.

I'm trying to salvage my Type1 subset code from my cvs checkout and
push to a branch in my git repository.  When I left the code it was
almost working, but it didn't handle composite glyphs correctly.  It's
been a long standing todo-item of mine to finish up this code and get
it into cairo.  The code has bit-rotted in the meantime though, so
I'll have to figure out how to make it compile again.

Also, I understand from Carls mail that the subsetting code is
currently disabled - is there an easy way to toggle that back on?

cheers,
Kristian