Fw: [cairo] Problem with fonts

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Wed Jul 26 03:04:38 PDT 2006

Baptiste Gaillard writes:
 > Yes, there is a freetype.lib library in the lib folder of the GTK directory,
 > so I suppose that Cairo is compiled with the freetype support,

Hmm, you are jumping to conclusions here. The freetype.lib which you
have is presumably there because Pango includes a FreeType backend
(pangoft2), and my Win32 packaging of Pango bundles also that, even
though normal use of Pango on Win32 doesn't use pangoft2. (It's mainly
there for GIMP's benefit, GIMP uses pangoft2.) I don't think the
Glade/GTK people should bother distributing any freetype development
files (like freetype.lib), as one doesn't use pangoft2 in normal GTK
development.

That's one risk of using bundle-all-that-moves packages like what
Glade/GTK people provides, it's hard to say what exactly is included
because of what.

Cairo then is another matter. I now notice that the cairo 1.2.0 I
built a couple of days ago and uploaded to ftp.gtk.org indeed includes
the freetype cairo backend. That was not intentional, though, and I am
tempted to remove the uploaded cairo 1.2.0 packages and rebuild it to
explicitly not include the freetype backend, because I don't want to
drag in the freetype and fontconfig DLLs as dependencies for the cairo
Win32 DLL.

--tml