[cairo] Speedup _cairo_matrix_to_pixman_matrix

Xan Lopez xan.lopez at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 12:47:28 PST 2006

Hey,

On 11/22/06, Daniel Amelang <daniel.amelang at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/06, Xan Lopez <xan.lopez at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So...
> > I've not yet setup cairo-perf on the hardware, but using torturer and
> jorn's
> > timetext the results look like this:
> >
> > Cairo 1.3.2: Drawn label 2708 times. Average time spent drawing (in
> > seconds): 0.002021
> > Cairo 1.3.2 + 3 patches: Drawn label 2716 times. Average time spent
> drawing
> > (in seconds): 0.002015
> > Cairo 1.3.2 + matrix indentity patch: Drawn label 2696 times. Average
> time
> > spent drawing (in seconds): 0.002135
> > Cairo 1.3.2 + cairo_lround patch: Drawn label 2703 times. Average time
> spent
> > drawing (in seconds): 0.002085
> > Cairo 1.3.2 + glyph gstate patch: Drawn label 2693 times. Average time
> spent
> > drawing (in seconds): 0.002097
>
> Whoops, you picked up the identity patch instead of the
> _cairo_matrix_to_pixman_matrix patch :) So the three patches, in order
> of estimated impact were:
>
> 1) _cairo_lround
> 2) _cairo_gstate_transform_glyphs_for_backend (be sure that you
> applied my version of this, as I'm pretty sure it's faster than
> Aivars' and Jorn's)
> 3) Patch to speedup _cairo_matrix_to_pximan_matrix

Hrm, I think I applied the patch attached to the first mail in this thread.
Granted, I didn't pick the best name for it in my mail, but I think it's the
correct one :)

> As you can see, the results are so similar that the numbers are not very
> > meaningfull and any possible win or lose is lost in the noise (I've
> repeated
> > all the tests several times, without changes). gtk-theme-torturer seems
> > confirm this, as the results are almost completely the same.
>
> Yes, that's pretty disappointing, but I'll hold onto the thread of
> hope that you applied Aivars' or Jorn's version of transform_glyphs,
> not mine. And maybe that to_pixman patch that you missed will also
> make a difference. Just leave out the is_identity one for now, to keep
> the SNR high.

Well, I'll double check tomorrow, but I think I used your versions because
they have your personal 000N- nomenclature :)
Let's hope that other people testing or even my own further testing proves
the initial impression wrong. And keep the patches coming!

Thanks!

> Dan

Cheers, Xan