[cairo] Cairo meeting tomorrow 13:00 EDT

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Apr 3 19:46:29 PDT 2007

Thanks Carl for the excellent notes.  I liked the notes, and more your
notes, and I think we should do more of these meetings.

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 16:40 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> cairo 1.6: Scheduled for July 2007, (the two proposed dates were "end
> of June" to be useful for Mozilla and "before GUADEC", which is the
> third week of July). Useful things that are candidates for 1.6, and
> that are beyond the scope of 1.4.x include:
>
>   • New, user-font API (behdad and krh)

We should be fast about this, as it's a piece of really useful API, and
there's still a lot to do.  We can start by someone (krh, you) reviewing
my latest branch, so we can make sure the plans are solid and go on to
implementing the missing bits.

>   • Other proposed API additions (Behdad, who has been disappointed to
>     not get much feedback on these yet---Behdad, care to summarize
>     these in a single mail with links to the proposals?)

Quoting TODO:

     cairo_arc_to
        see http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2005-August/004801.html
        or see arc_to branch in bedhad's repository
     cairo_font_options_[gs]et_writing_mode()
        http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-January/009372.html
     cairo_font_metrics_t
        http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-January/009373.html
     cairo_surface_show_page() and cairo_surface_copy_page()
        show_page is a surface operation and should have been there instead of
        cairo_show_page() from the beginning.  Same about copy_page().
        Implement the right API now.
     User-font API---a couple of threads of interest:
        http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-February/009539.html
        http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-May/006893.html
        http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-May/006888.html
     Polling API (cairo_get_serial and cairo_changed)

Looking at these:

  - arc_to is not urgent at all.
  - writing_mode will be good to have for 1.6.  It allows for a solid,
non-ft-only vertical text support in Pango.
  - font_metrics_t also helps moving more code from Pango's various
backends to cairo.
  - surface_show_page is trivial stuff.
  - Polling API would be nice time permitting, and Pango will be using
it, but not really urgent.

So, the main thing is user-font.

Other stuff missing from meeting notes are:

  - David Turner's cairo-ft rewrite.  We should land these and fix any
remaining issues soon after 1.4.4 to get some testing.  Let's not let
that slip or otherwise a huge piece of good work will rot.

  - New text API that allows for perfect text extraction in PDF.  I need
to write a followup to my that long mail about these.

Cheers,

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/