[cairo] cairo and gdk/X11

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:58:16 PDT 2007

2007/6/12, Tamas K Papp <tpapp at princeton.edu>:
> > With the X Damage extension you can receive events from the X server
> > whenever a pixmap (or a window) is "damaged", ie. it has been drawn
> > to. You can then clear the damage state and update the contents.
> >
> > You can get hints on how to use it from this nice composite tutorial:
> >
> >  http://ktown.kde.org/~fredrik/composite_howto.html
>
> This is really neat.  It almost works now, except that Damage events
> are not received when the window is passive, only when I click on it:
> then the window gets an expose event and a damage event immediately
> after.  Suggestions would be appreciated, I attached the C code.

So the code you attached is run in one thread and another thread draws
to the cairo context you create? Otherwise it naturally won't damage
the pixmap...

> Another thing: how can I disable the resizing of the window?

You can hint the window manager that this is what you want and it may
or may not provide that:

  http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#NORESIZE

There's also override redirect windows, but those are not recommendable.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi