[cairo] Cairo on iOS

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Dec 14 08:01:58 PST 2010

Hi,

Although I have a few Mac OS X machines, I don't have
installed iOS simulators & cross compilers. Please let
me ask a small question; I guess the compiler for
iPhone simulator creates the binary for intel CPU, but
the compiled binary cannot be executed directly on Mac
OS X as if it were Mac OS X binary... my guessing is
correct? Or, my guessing is incorrect and Mac OS X can
execute the binary executable for iPhone simulator
without simulator itself?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:31:17 -0000
"Dan Cartman" <DanC at xta.co.uk> wrote:

>You're absolutely right - my mistake.  I've also been trying to get a
>similar configure script to build the arm version which fails in the
>same way and I've copied the wrong error message from the terminal.  The
>(almost identical) error I get for the simulator script is actually :
>
>configure: WARNING: if you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
>     If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used
>checking for i686-apple-darwin-gcc... /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin/i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1
>checking whether the C compiler works... no

In addition to your environment variables for Apple SDKs location,
if you give 2 options, aslike,

	./configure --host=i686-apple-darwin10 --build=i686-apple-darwin

can configure recognize that you're trying cross building?
It seems that the argument for "--host=" must be same with
the prefix for the cross compiler, but the argument for
"--build=" is not critical to find the native compiler.

If passing same argument to "--host=" and "--build=",
it seems that configure may recognize as if the native
building is requested. So small difference between host
and build arguments would be expected. In above case,
I differenciated "i686-apple-darwin10" vs "i686-apple-darwin" (without 10).

I'm sorry that I cannot write step-by-step solution.

Regards,
mpsuzuki