[cairo] cairo release 1.12.10 now available

Bobby Salazar bobby8934 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 04:42:01 PST 2013

> cairo-gles has quite performance advantage over cairo upstream, I think more
> than double normal test cases.  For simple fill/paint/mask where you have
> pixel-aligned drawing, there probably not much difference.  The text
> rendering is fast too.

I am a little hesitant to rely on code that remains a one-off for so
many years. When might these performance improvements from cairo-gles
be fully merged into the main cairo codebase?

> For IOS, it uses EAGL - I have not looked at it.  I have a cairo binding to
> NSOpenGLContext, https://github.com/csyuschmjuh/cairo-nsgl, You can try it
> out.  Few tests I have performed show it is also the fastest - faster than
> quartz backend, even with QuartzGL enabled.  Maybe it is also a good idea to
> have cairo to use EAGL.

Unfortunately, I have almost zero experience with OpenGL on any
platform. But I would like to take advantage of the graphics hardware
if/when possible. Please let me know if you do end up looking into iOS
support. I would love to get some sample/example code to try out.

BTW - how do you enable "QuartzGL"? And, on average, what kind of
performance improvement are you seeing with cairo-gles over the quartz
backend?

> Android - Not clear what you want, you want cairo at Java API level?

I would be looking for cairo support at the native level. On Android
you can call into native C/C++ code using JNI from Java. Here is an
example: http://code.google.com/p/android-native-egl-example/