[cairo] Size of PDF with lots of images

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Jan 15 19:44:00 PST 2014

Back in 2007 Carl and I developed Slippy a GUADEC to do our cairo slides.  I
have used it since for many presentations.  It's a pycairo-based tool where
you express slides as Python functions.  It's very handy, specially if you
want to use cairo drawing in your slides.

Back in the days, if I had a huge background image, it was replicated in each
slide, so I was getting, like, 240MB PDFs for a simple presentation.
Fortunately that has long been fixed.

Now, for my GLyphy talk [2], the source images are 14MB [3], but the generated
PDF [4] is 18MB.  Does anyone feel like taking a look?

[1] http://github.com/behdad/slippy
[2] https://vimeo.com/83732058
[3] https://github.com/behdad/slippy/tree/master/glyphy
[4] http://behdad.org/glyphy_slides.pdf