[cairo] Cairocks, etc.

Theo Veenker theoveenker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:33:11 PST 2015

On 21 Jan 2015, at 19:11, Jeremy Moles <cubicool at gmail.com> wrote:

> In addition to getting comments (and perhaps more code!), I'd like to solicit some feedback on whether a name change on my project might encourage other people to use and/or take it more seriously. I was thinking something like "cairoutil" or "cairou" (with the additional "u" being in the style of libGLU for OpenGL).
>
> NOTE: There is also a nice little cairocffi-based Python3 companion module with Cairocks: cairockscffi. It uses Simon Sapin's fantastic module, and even has a hook for merging/monkey-patching the cairocks API with a standard cairocffi.Context class. Neat stuff.
>
> Anyways, enjoy! And let me know how you feel about the name change.

I don’t feel there’s anything wrong with the name. Cairocks sounds OK to me. I do think you should add your project to the Documentation or Examples page on cairographics.org. A propos documentation, there are a lot of documentation bits and pieces to be found on the cairo website but a real programming guide (in addition to the existing reference manual) doesn’t exist. I think such a programming guide would be the perfect vehicle for addressing your project and others. Just my 2 cents.

Theo