[cairo] Cairo image backend + Pango + Python3?

Arjen Nienhuis a.g.nienhuis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 23:30:04 UTC 2016

On Jul 12, 2016 03:02, "Fan, Chun-wei (范君維)" <fanc999 at yahoo.com.tw> wrote:

> Hi
>

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro 於 2016/7/12 上午 06:51 寫道:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 21:45:46 +0200, Arjen Nienhuis wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to upgrade my python/cairo/pango web-app to python3 without
>>> much success. What can I use?
>>
>> Are there Python bindings for Pango? (Not that I’ve used it...)
>
> In order to use Pango in Python 3.x, one needs to make use of PyGObject
3.x with gobject-introspection.  The Python 2.x bindings for Python can be
used either with PyGObject 3.x and gobject-introspection or with PyGObject
2.28.6+PyGTK 2.24, which includes bindings for Pango.

I might be mistaken, but it seems that 'gi' doesn't support the image back
end.

>> If you didn’t need Pango, I’d recommend Qahirah, my high-level Python
>> binding for Cairo <https://github.com/ldo/qahirah>. My aim was to
>> create a graphics API as though Cairo had been designed to be used
>> natively from Python rather than C.

I might check this out. Maybe I can add pango support.