[cairo] Announcing PyBidi

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Wed Jul 13 00:54:00 UTC 2016

Just thought I’d mention PyBidi <https://github.com/ldo/pybidi>, my
Python 3 wrapper for all the functionality in FriBidi that I could
usefully find, that I threw together over the weekend.

I’m impressed that FriBidi doesn’t just do bidirectional
logical-to-visual rearrangement, but it will also perform contextual
substitutions for Arabic ligatures, which look (to my nonexpert eyes)
like they might be good enough for day-to-day written text, without
having to resort to HarfBuzz, or Pango, or sophisticated stuff like
that.

(Feel free to point out I’m wrong; the only language I have any
familiarity with that uses, or used to use, Arabic script, is Malay
written in the old “Jawi” script.)