[cairo] Cairo support for Mac OS 10.4

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Fri Jan 20 21:20:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 03:29:55PM +0100, Andrea Canciani wrote:
> The wip/restore-10.4 was updated to actually work on 10.4 with the help of
> G 3.
> I also manged to set up a virtual machine running OSX 10.4, so I will now
> be able to check for regressions when updating new patches for cairo-quartz.
> Given that there seems to still be some interest in keeping 10.4 working
> and that the code is already available, I would go for it and merge
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ranma42/cairo/commit/?h=wip/restore-10.4&id=5a8a9c97ed268004cbac510d39739ff56c0fb43c
>
> Bryce, does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Yes, that sounds fine.  I looked up the past discussions for the
rationale we'd had for upping the version requirement to 10.5:

    https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2014-November/025792.html
    https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2015-February/025949.html

The main issue seems to have been testing on 10.4, which sounds like you
now have resolved to your satisfaction.  We were also uncertain whether
maintaining support for such an old version was worth the effort, but
there's been ample interest voiced by users, so bringing it back does
seem like it would provide tangible value.

My only question is, I recall you mentioned there were other code
cleanups that would be made possible by dropping the 10.4 requirement?
If those cleanups were performed, then they may need to be revisited in
light of this change.

> If there are no concerns, I will proceed with this before working on some
> test failures that were uncovered by the record-replay-extend.c test
> (Quartz does not handle correctly bounded recording surfaces).
>
> Andrea

Sounds good, thanks for following up on this.

Bryce