[cairo] Time for a release ?

Stuart Axon stuaxo2 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 22:23:33 UTC 2020

So to summarize the CI useful for regression is blocking on two kinds of
test failure:

[1] Locking issues.

[2] Rendering issues.

Some tests seem to pass though, can we set those to expected-to-pass,
and the rest expected-to-fail ?

It would be good to have an epic issue in gitlab for "Improve the CI
pass rate" to put these issues under.

[1] Locking issues

I ran the tests in a Windows VM with Meson and quite a few timed out, it
seems like quite a few will be the ones with locking issues.

https://gist.github.com/stuaxo/1d125dc83888a28f60c684718619a112

There were a couple of tests that popped up dialog boxes under Windows
when they failed, which seems not idea for CI.

I'll see if I can do the same under Linux and possibly MacOS to see if
the same ones time out.

[2]  Rendering issues:

It sounds like there are different sources for these, so maybe it's
worth having tickets for the different kinds of failure, once a baseline
is established.

Maybe we could make sanity checks for the different failure types (or
designate existing tests for these) ?

Pixman:  As mentioned elsewhere, changes that affect rendering here will
mean ref images need updating.

Ghostscript:  We could render some known postscript through this and
check the output.

Fonts and operating systems:

Do we expect output on differing operating systems to be the same?  If
not, maybe per-OS reference images is could work (e.g.
Linux/MacOS/Windows would be expected to be similar, but whichever OS
you are running on should be an exact match).