[Clipart] World maps

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Aug 4 00:49:36 PDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Jose Hevia wrote:

>   Well,I uploaded maps of the 5 continents made with NASA public
> domain data.They request me to give them credit as well as a link in
> Metadata to the sources.I used the Inkscape Metadata tool for that.

Cool, although we need to take some care here - by 'request' does this
mean it is a wish or is it actually required in the provisioning
license?  If it is required to include attribution, we need to look more
closely at it.  If it's optional, then it's probably cool.

>   The problem arrives at the point in which everybody seems to be
> using a different Metadata format.First I registered the work as
> "world map (5 continents)"at Creative Commons and included this info
> in a text file into a "tar.gz" file .It was 600kB or so .I tried to
> upload to OCAL.It didn't work.Then I included the C.C info into the
> africa file ,it's invisible for Inkscape(maybe I put this bad).I tried
> to put my name,title...There is a bug in 0.39,if you put your
> name,Inkscape deletes the title to put your name.

Hrm, you're probably right that there's some bugs here in several apps.
Please make judicious use of the Inkscape bug tracker for all problems
you find here, and we'll work through them.  A lot of these tools have
not yet been thoroughly tested against each other, but we work closely
together (literally - kees is within 20 feet of my cube), so bug reports
will have the desired effect.

>    Later I uploaded the individual files (a lot of space) with
> Metadata ,I put europe.svg and renamed to worldmap* (the title),but
> the ones without title (because the bug) displays as the svg original
> name.

It looks like your files got accepted by the system, so should appear in
the release.  Please double check them to make sure the scripts are
doing okay.  And give me suggestions for how to make it better.

Thanks,