[Clipart] Some thoughts on the browsing interface

Alberto Simões hashashin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 06:56:19 PDT 2004

To have all images shown is not a good solution. I think that what I
can do to help with the complain that there is only scorpion, is to
add a number right to the category with the number of images on that
category.

So, for example, animals can say

   Animals (20)

When entering animals, see the scorpion an the menu saying

   Insects (9)
   Mammals (5)
   Fish (5)

That can help the user to understand that the scorpion is not the only
animal we have.

Cheers.
Alb

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:51:02 +0300, Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> wrote:
> Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > Carl Worth <cworth at east.isi.edu> writes:
> >>Instead, I think the browse interface should present images in all
> >>of their parent categories as well. This way, the categorization
> >>would provide a way to filter the results, rather than a way to show
> >>new images.
> >

> > I *don't* think you'd want to browse through eleven hundred animal
> > images, then click on "birds" only to find eighty of the same images.
> > Even worse, if you're looking for a specific type of animal that's not
> > a bird nor a mammal nor any of the other subcategories, you don't want
> > to have to look through all eleven hundred animal images.
>
> if browsing was done using keywords, a bird, say "puffin" would have
> multiple keywords, like: "animal", "bird", "puffin" and it will be shown
>   in the results for a search on every of those keywords, why not do the
> same using directories?
>
> > I think a better approach would be to add a folder icon for each
> > subcategory to the results for the category, to make it more
> > blindingly obvious that there are subcategories with more images, so
> > that the user doesn't draw the mistaken conclusion that the images
> > standing loose in the parent category are the only ones.
>
> yes, this is a good approach and i also proposed something similar some
> time ago
>
> --
> nicu

Alberto Simões