[Clipart] Some thoughts on the browsing interface

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Aug 5 12:50:39 PDT 2004

That is a great idea. I wonder how efficient the left hand menu is and
if it might be better to have a horizontal menu at top to make clear the
hierarchy from top to bottom. Also, then if there are too many
categories, a second level of menu could be printed as well. What d'ya
think? Something about the current layout of the browser seems
counterintuitive. Once we have images immediately in the browser, I
think things will become clearer.

Jon

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 06:56, Alberto Simões wrote:
> To have all images shown is not a good solution. I think that what I
> can do to help with the complain that there is only scorpion, is to
> add a number right to the category with the number of images on that
> category.
>
> So, for example, animals can say
>
>    Animals (20)
>
> When entering animals, see the scorpion an the menu saying
>
>    Insects (9)
>    Mammals (5)
>    Fish (5)
>
> That can help the user to understand that the scorpion is not the only
> animal we have.
>
> Cheers.
> Alb
>
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:51:02 +0300, Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> wrote:
> > Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > >

> > > I *don't* think you'd want to browse through eleven hundred animal
> > > images, then click on "birds" only to find eighty of the same images.
> > > Even worse, if you're looking for a specific type of animal that's not
> > > a bird nor a mammal nor any of the other subcategories, you don't want
> > > to have to look through all eleven hundred animal images.
> >
> > if browsing was done using keywords, a bird, say "puffin" would have
> > multiple keywords, like: "animal", "bird", "puffin" and it will be shown
> >   in the results for a search on every of those keywords, why not do the
> > same using directories?
> >
> > > I think a better approach would be to add a folder icon for each
> > > subcategory to the results for the category, to make it more
> > > blindingly obvious that there are subcategories with more images, so
> > > that the user doesn't draw the mistaken conclusion that the images
> > > standing loose in the parent category are the only ones.
> >
> > yes, this is a good approach and i also proposed something similar some
> > time ago
> >
> > --
> > nicu

PO BOX 948667