[Clipart] OpenClipart.org Advertisement Pattern

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Aug 7 05:53:42 PDT 2004

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Tobias Jakobs wrote:

> Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 08:05:06 +0200
> From: Tobias Jakobs <tobias.jakobs at web.de>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>
> Cc: Jonadab the Unsightly One <jonadab at bright.net>, clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] OpenClipart.org Advertisement Pattern
>
> Am Sa, den 07.08.2004 schrieb Alan Horkan um 2:27:

> > > For some reason, I can't get Inkscape to open this.  Maybe I'm doing
> > > something wrong?
> >
> > The Adobe SVG Plugin opens it correctly.
> >

> Rsvg-view version 2.7.2 opens it correctly, too. That sounds like a
> inkscape bug. Please write a bugreport at:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=93438&atid=604306

I'd apprecaite if some else could file the report.
I'll be sure to point out the issue if/when I mention this advertisement
to the inkscape developers.

> > I'm surprised it doesn't display in Inkscape but I probably should
> > have mentioned that I didn't check against Inkscape as I only had a
> > Windows machine conveniently available (and a linux machine not properly
> > configured for SVG).
> >
> You know, that there is a Windows version of Inkscape? ;-)

Wow really?

:P

I've gotten very familiar with Jasc Webdraw, and I really like that I can
edit patterns in place and as you can see it allowed me to get quite a lot
done (scripting/actions would have been easier though a fact I was
painfully aware of as I manually edited the XML).  I like the WedDraw
source editor (dont like the XML editor in inkscape).  I also like the
fact that I'm causing problems and hopefully forcing the Inkscape
developers to improve Inkscape as a result.  I also want to help make sure
that OpenClipart is not ghettoized, that it uses clean standard XML.
Webdraw produces really nice looking XML, inkscape and sodipodi put in a
crap load of their own custom markup and coordinates are big messy long
numbers rather than precise integers.

I'm trying to force myself to use Inkscape (I upgrade regularly)more but I
still find the interface very uncomfortable and I dont feel able to fix
any of it for myself (I have limited time to file feature requests and the
tracker is already very full, not enough hours in the day).  The node
editing in WebDraw is quite good in various ways.  I'm really looking
forward to being able to do some scripting for inkscape, be it javascript,
scheme, python, (not sure I'm ready for Perl yet though for reasons I wont
go into).  The more I learn about usability the more frustrating it is to
use programs that I do not like the interface of, the software should
adapt to the user not the other way around.  I abandoned Sodipodi entirely
because I just could not use it comfortably (despite finding the gimp to
be just about managable) and it is a massive credit to the hard work and
improvements of Inkscape developers that I havent already given up in
frustration.

I'd write more but I'm on a dialup connection and I really should not
complain about Inkscape when I do not have anything more constructive to
add.

inSincerely :)

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/