[Clipart] Announce: SVG::Metadata 0.13

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Aug 9 18:27:44 PDT 2004

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
>> Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:
>> > Great.  Fwiw, I posted SVG::Metadata 0.14 to CPAN this morning.
>
> Unfortunately, that won't be a solution for the general public...

We're only talking about a few hours.  search.cpan.org shows 0.14 now.

> (The one thing I hate about CPAN is having to wait several hours
> between submitting and announcing a release.  Very inconvenient.)

Oh, I see, it's the lag time you're thinking about.

Hmmm...  it ought to be possible to throw together WWW::Mechanize and
Mail::Sendmail and a sleep loop and create a script that handles the
whole process automatically, submitting the module to PAUSE, waiting
for n hours, and then sending out whatever announcements you like by
email, parsing the CHANGES file and listing the ones since the last
release.  It occurs to me that this is obvious enough in its utility
that someone may have already created such a tool, but I have no idea
what it would be called or how to look for it (which might even mean
several people have independently reinvented it for just this reason).

It would also be possible to canonically host something elsewhere and
put it on CPAN additionally; in that case people reading the
announcement could obtain it from the canonical location, and random
people could still find it on the CPAN, add it to dependencies and
bundles, and all the other usual benefits of CPAN.

I haven't faced this issue yet, since Net::Server::POP3 doesn't have a
large enough user base to warrant a mailing list, if the amount of
feedback I've received is any indication.